...to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free....

29 May, 2011

checking in




It's been awhile since I have posted.
It's been the combination of two trips, pretty close together,
and the need to recover from all the excitement.

When I am gone, there are numerous things
that pile up, waiting for my return.
Mail, bills, appointments, my work, tidying up, you name it.
(They weren't kidding when they titled The 36 Hour Day.)
It takes awhile to get to the bottom of things again.

I am almost there.

Spent the day outside in the sunshine, puttering.
Pruned the plants-in-pots that border my patio.
Put the grill out there, too, and cleaned it.  (YUK.)

Re-potted some geraniums from last summer 
which I had carefully tended all winter. 
I put them outside, along with our hibiscus and peace lily.
Considered an old birdhouse which has seen better days,
and decided I need to buy a new one.  But I did climb the ladder
and put the hook into a tree just where I want it 
...when I find the perfect shelter. 

Now I am sitting here listening to the tree toads and peepers
and the bullfrogs, enjoying some peace.
Of course, I should be in bed by now,
but then I would be sleeping, and not hearing these sounds
that I've longed for all winter.

Hope you are all having a great holiday weekend!




5 comments:

  1. i say enjoy the spring nights for they are too few... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I should be in bed by now,
    but then I would be sleeping, and not hearing these sounds
    that I've longed for all winter.

    I loved that part . . .

    Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are lots of chores to do when you return from a trip!

    Glad you had some moments to relax and enjoy the sounds of the frogs. They lulled me to sleep many nights when I was a child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean--I am sure you enjoyed your trips but it is always good to come home and do some puttering. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did have a very physical day and I'm sure, when you do finally climb into bed, it will be with a great sense of accomplishment. I think these spring chores are one of the great joys of living in Maine. I love being outside again, seeing the garden awaken, anticipating summer and visits from family and friends (who never come in March for some strange reason!)

    ReplyDelete