...to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free....

25 September, 2011

Katia's wake


My first week on the island, the storm called Katia
was running wild off the east coast.
Although she missed the island by hundreds of miles,
her wake was impressive.

On the 'back side' of the island,
the land is held in permanent conservation,
allowing everyone full opportunity
to witness the power and beauty of the ocean
from the rocks and cliffs.

Some days the water is what the locals call 'flat calm'.
(Some nights the water is so calm, the Milky Way
can be seen reflected on its surface.)

Not so in Katia's wake on September 8.

These photos were taken with the long lens I recently acquired.
It looks as if I was right by the shore.
I most certainly was not.













As you can see below, the ocean is deceptive.
Looking out from 130' above sea level,
the water seems calm enough.
No hint of the wild currents and powerful undertow
below the surface.

Yet foam generated by the waves'
never-ending pounding onto shore
provide a hint of the power that is within the water.





It resembles clotted cream to me.
Beautiful,  yet ample warning to those who approach.

The day following these photos, a visitor to the island was exploring
a natural formation in the rocks on the edge of the shore.
He was swept out to sea and his body has yet to be found.

The pamphlet handed out to all who visit the island cautions:
"Always keep a bulwark between yourself and the sea."

Words to be respected.

Even as we pray for the lost and those who love them.




8 comments:

  1. Whooo- eee!!!!!
    I love these. I have been waiting patiently for more pictures. These are my reward. More to come from the island??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mike, nice job. I assumer you used your new camera in which case it's a nice match. I esp like the translucent green showing in the waves. Yer buddy,

    gtm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking does not even begin to describe your photos Mike!! Incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the roiled up greens in those wave crests!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive captures Mike! The colors are wonderful, what a truly gorgeous place. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, wow great shots! The sea can certainly be something to see! Pardon the pun!
    We have such accidents here on the west coast too! People just have to get too close!
    I'm glad the storm bypassed you but left great photo ops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wildness and fury. I'm glad you were able to be at a safe distance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is soooo sad! How horrible to have witnessed (did anyone witness it?) I have always respected the sea. I don't live anywhere near it but visiting I was always frightened of it, with it power undertow. Just walking along a shoreline and being pulled into the sea would make me want to run in the opposite direction. I have been on 2 cruises and each time....I am in complete awe of its massivness. RESPECT totally because I am so small in its stead....

    ReplyDelete