...to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free....

30 June, 2011

settin' up Smokey's


The Fourth of July is the beginning of Fair Season 
in my part of the world.

Today I was at the right place to watch the midway 
get set up in a nearby town.

I used to love these rides.  I'd go on any of them.
A couple of years ago I went on some
sadistic ride with my grandson, like a brave grammy--
and shortly thereafter lost my lunch.
(How father time has forsaken me!!)

But I still like the excitement of the set-up,
the 'carneys' and their followers,
the wires, generators, pieces coming together--
and the kids wheeling by on their bikes,
so excited they can hardly stay on the ground.

Here's the scene from a local waterfront.
The midway opens tomorrow at 5pm,
and shuts down after the fireworks on the 4th.


































Happy 4th, everyone!


5 comments:

  1. those are great pix. i've never liked rides, but you can't help but smile when you see these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, sounds like it's going to be a great weekend! Be sure to go back and get some shots in the dark!
    The best thing about a fair is the smell of French fries on the evening air!
    Have a great weekend and 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the perfect venue for celebrating the 4th. Stay off the rides (I would) and have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ferris wheel shots are spectacular! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are such fabulous photos! Makes me want to go to the fair!

    Di

    ReplyDelete