...to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free....

22 January, 2012

a winter surprise



It often takes a sense of humor
to make it through a northern New England winter.

I came upon these critters the first winter after
we moved from our farmhouse in the country.
As I was walking in my new neighborhood
at just about this time of year,
I cannot tell you how much this scene warmed my heart.

This photo actually strings together a few themes
from my last couple of blogs.
The snow cat was created by a woman named Grace 
who came from Uganda to teach 
and was visiting my neighbor that winter.

Grace chose a cat for her first snow-creature because she
very much enjoyed playing with Mopsy, the family cat.
My neighbor made the snow-woman
and kept her snug with Grace's African hat and her warm scarf.

Can you imagine the fun of that creation?

The world would be a bleaker place if it weren't for 
artists with a well developed sense of play.

Thanks to Jane and Grace 
and to 
all those like them in the entire universe.
Amen.



13 comments:

  1. Such fun! I wish I could post a photo of the enormous snow rabbit made by our middle grandson last year. It was taller than he was. No snow for that this year, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow rabbit! what a great idea! Did his nose wiggle? Thanks for stopping by, Perpetua! ;o)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful Mike!! So much better then the horrid ice covering the driveways and keeping us prisoners within!! Need more snow --not rain!!
    ~~Rain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, Rain! It's raining again! We had maybe two days of snow without an ice covering this weekend, and now this. Good weather for moose meat stew, though! ;o)

      Delete
  3. Dear Mike,
    One of the joys of life is sighting creativity all around us--in those who create snow cats and snow women and in those who recognize and delight in these creations.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Dee. It's so good to SEE what is all around us for the noticing. ;o)

      Delete
  4. Mike, such whimsey! Great shot too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. Where would we be without whimsey? ;o)

      Delete
  5. THAT is a heartwarming scene....sunshiny and thoughtful. What a sweet creation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delight! I'm wishing I had gone out and attempted a snow-something the other day. Six inches of good packing snow, now melted from all the rain. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If yesterday you said it was 53 degrees where you are, the snow-making situation still needs improvement, huh? Here, too. Well, there's always February...;o)

      Delete
  7. these are the best snow "anythings" i have ever seen !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. And thanks for stopping by. Next time I see my neighbor, I'll relay your praise! ;o)

      Delete